While I’m currently gallivanting around Europe, I thought it might be apropos to provide another dose of packing advice.
It is my travel mission to pack as light as possible (hello carry-on!) while still managing to look stylish. I look back at the photos from my 8-month back packing trip to Europe in 2005/2006 and I cringe at the outfits I put together. I wore a ski jacket in 80% of my photos and couldn’t have looked more like a tourist if I tried. Since then, I’ve learned that comfort and efficiency does not have to sacrifice style. With some strategic choices and some handy tools (read: packing cubes!) I am travelling in Europe for 2 weeks with less than 20 lbs on my back!
Here is the breakdown of what I packed in my bag:
CLOTHING AND SHOES
- 1 pair of walking shoes (BOBS with memory foam)
- 1 pair of dressier sandals (Clarks)
- 1 pair of flip flops (Flojos with arch support)
- 1 pair of jeans (for the plane and chilly evenings)
- 1 pair of loose fitting hippie pants
- 2 pairs of shorts
- 3 dresses
- 1 skirt/dress (convertible)
- 8 tops (3 t-shirts, 5 sleeveless)
- 2-3 cardigans (for the plane, chilling evenings, hot air balloon)
- 1 bikini
- 1 set of sleepwear
- 12 pairs of underwear + 3 bras (excessive maybe)
- 3 pairs of socks
- 1 pair of bandelettes
- 1 belt
- 1-2 scarves (for the plane or to use as a shawl)
Note: Packing Cubes!
All of my clothing easily fits inside three small packing cubes. The larger blue one is for all of my bottoms and dresses, the medium red is for tops, and the small red is for underwear. These packing cubes make it insanely easy to pack and repack quickly when living out of a backpack. Read more about my packing cube obsession here.
TOILETRIES & ACCESSORIES
- Stella & Dot Hang On Travel Case (toiletries/make-up/jewelry/sunscreen)
- Norwex Cloth
- Small Medicine Bag (Kleenex, band-aids, medication, hand sanitizer, wet wipes)
- Travel Flat Iron
- 1 Pair of Sunglasses
- Tote Bag (for beach use/extra stuff for airplane)
- Cross-body Bag (Lug – Moped Day Pack) – The best travel day bag that I’ve found!
- iPhone 5C
- iPhone Charger
- Camera + Charger (Canon Powershot SX700)
- Spare Memory Card
- Portable Charger
- E-reader (Kobo Aura)
- Voltage Converter
DOCUMENTS & MISCELLANEOUS
- Passport & Visa
- Travel Documents & Insurance
- Sleep Sheet
- Pillow Case
- Ear Plugs
- Travel Journal / Pen
- Travel Umbrella
- Luggage Locks
This was my first time bringing only a carry-on to Europe. Do you find it difficult to travel light?